The OratoryThe Oratory

Photo: Oleksander Burlaka

Photo: Oleksander Burlaka

Situated near Liverpool Cathedral, the Oratory was designed by John Foster in the Greek Revival style and was begun in 1827. It was originally the chapel of St James’s cemetery. Funeral services were held here when burials took place in the cemetery below, and monuments to the dead were placed around the walls. The cemetery closed in 1936, and in 1986 the Oratory became part of National Museums Liverpool. It houses an outstanding collection of 19th-century memorial sculpture.

Artists
Address

The Oratory
Liverpool Cathedral
St James Mount
Liverpool
L1 7AZ