Built in 1898-1901 and designed by architect A. G. Lyster, Tobacco Warehouse is the world’s largest brick built warehouse, standing quayside at Stanley Dock, Liverpool, opposite the smaller North Warehouse, now home to the award winning Titanic Hotel.
Stanley Dock, 21a Regent Road Stanley, Liverpool L3 0BA
Wednesday - Sunday 10am - 6pm
Designed by Jesse Hartley and opened in 4thAugust 1848, Stanley Dock is the only inland Liverpool dock, with others being built on the foreshore. Between 1715 and 1929 forty-two docks were built in Liverpool, which made it the second largest port in the UK and one of the busiest in the world.
The cultural influences that the port brought to Liverpool have helped shape it, socially, artistically and architecturally: the unique and large dimensions of Tobacco Warehouse were dictated by the vast size of the tobacco bails it was built to house, creating 1.6 million sq ft (148,644 sq m) of space.
Tobacco Warehouse is currently being restored and sympathetically converted to provide 550 large Manhattan loft style apartments, including penthouses, and 100,000 sq.ft. of dock level commercial space and lifestyle amenities. The first residents moved in in October 2021.
Access provision at this venue:
- Wheelchair accessible
- Gender Neutral Toilets
- Parking: Although Tobacco Warehouse does not have a dedicated parking area, parking is available at the carpark located on the corner of Walter Street and Great Howard Street, adjoining Stanley Dock. Visitors are kindly asked not to park on-street or on site as a courtesy to local residents.
Please note that there are no refreshments at Tobacco Warehouse itself. Visitors are advised to bring a refillable water bottle and our Front of House team will be happy to refill bottles with fresh water. For other refreshments, Titanic Hotel and Caffé Riccardo are located nearby for hot and cold beverages and light snacks.
Entrance to Tobacco Warehouse:
The entrance to Tobacco Warehouse is located along Regent Road, just before the grey bridge. Continue past the main parking area with turreted gates and further down the road. The entrance to the venue is a indicated by a large Biennial sign.